In the last few decades, many chemical treatments have been developed to treat hair loss problem, some of which have proved a success in achieving the expected results in reducing hair loss, and some of which caused many side and perhaps even counterproductive effects.
However, a new hair loss treatment has been developed recently and gained massive popularity around the world in the field of treating hair loss replacing most of the chemical other therapies which are Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP).
Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) was first introduced in the seventies and widely used around the world in the late nineties to heal injuries and treat several types of health issues. Doctors used it in different medical fields, such as cosmetic surgeries, dentistry, and most importantly in managing hair loss.
Plasma plays a crucial role in keeping the human body healthy. When the human body is exposed to a specific injury, plasma sends blood platelets through the blood to the injured area to begin the healing process, repairing the damaged part of the body naturally. This simulates the blood circulation in the skin or scalp, which stops hair loss and strengthen the hair follicles.
Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) Components
Plasma consists of a homogeneous mixture of water, carbohydrates, and hormones. It contains many essential proteins called growth factors that stimulate the healing process and the hair growth in the scalp. This will dramatically improve the hair’s thickness and strength.
Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) renews cells in infected areas, helping to grow new tissues by attracting stem cells to the site of injury and stimulating their specialization. Stem cells are primitive cells that are not specialized and can be self-renewed and reproduced to give several types of specialized cells, such as hair cells, cartilage, bone, skin, and other cells. These stem cells are also responsible for regenerating damaged cells, either in the skin or hair, resulting in the production of a new battery.
Benefits of Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP)
- Treats hair loss and stimulates the secretion of collagen, which helps in to encourage the growth of new hair follicles.
- Treats trichoclasia, and hair fall, as PRP transfers nutrients to the treated area.
- Strengthen hair follicles.
- Treats the scalp and regenerate its cells.
Manages the donor and receptor areas of the scalp after hair transplantation.
- PRP stimulates new hair growth in the scarred areas of the scalp.
- Helps to get best hair transplantation results and to grow the hair faster besides reducing the chance of hair loss in the future.
People with special medical conditions should be cautious when referring to PRP treatment and might be advised to stay away from this treatment, such as people with chronic heart disease, diabetes, blood diseases (thrombocytopenia), and virus infections like AIDS and HCV. Therefore, it’s necessary to perform the needed medical tests to the patient prior the PRP treatment to ascertain his eligibility to undergo the PRP treatment.
Step by Step Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment
Doctors developed the PRP treatment by taking a blood sample from the patient, separating its components, and collecting platelets individually apart from the other blood components, to then inject it to the patient’s scalp to stimulate the growth of new hair cells, thus compensating damaged and lost hair.
PRP helps the body starting the self-healing process in the scalp and improves the formation of the scalp to provide a healthy environment for hair follicles to grow and stimulate the growth of new hair after undergoing hair transplantation.
- First, the doctor will withdraw 30-60 cc of the blood from the patient, then an anticoagulant will be added to the blood.
- Blood is placed in a device called the centrifuge for several minutes, to separate the liquid containing the platelet from the rest of the blood components, so that it produces a yellow transparent liquid called the platelet-rich plasma.
- The doctor injects the PRP – which includes 5 to 10 times more platelet than exists in the standard blood- into the treated areas of the scalp or the transplanted area through a fine cannula, your doctor may apply skin numbing cream, or might also be enough to use some ice to the treated area to relieve the expected pain caused by the injection.
Your doctor determines how much time you might need to see the results, but it might take six months and up to one year to see the significant results after PRP because healing the damaged tissues in the scalp requires time, however, initial results might be noticed few months after performing the treatment. For best results, you need several sessions spaced by at least one month. Following up with your doctor is essential during the treatments process.
Studies show that platelet-rich plasma therapy is a safe and effective treatment for all hair loss types. This treatment can be applied in a hospital or clinics as a reliable and straightforward treatment. This treatment is a remarkable success since it is a natural remedy of the human’s body, which ensures no complications, nor side effects.
Tips Should be Followed Before PRP Treatment
There are several factors to be considered when having your PRP treatment, as these factors play a crucial role in determining the success rate of the procedure, and the thickness of hair, such elements are:
- Choose the appropriate doctor to perform PRP treatment, because the success of the treatment mainly depends on the efficiency and skills of the treating doctor, thus, a simple mistake might lead to adverse results.
- Consider choosing a hospital or a clinic certified by the Ministry of Health to obtain this treatment, try to select a medical center with international quality certificates.
- Discuss with your doctor the suitability of this treatment for you, the expected results, and the number of PRP sessions needed.
- The patient should inform the doctor about any medications he regularly takes, and any health problems he has, to ensure his safety.
- Ensure that the cannula that will be used in your treatment has not been used before and is not going to be used again in the following sessions, to avoid infections.
PRP Post-Treatment Tips
- Do not wash the treated area until 24 hours of obtaining treatment.
- Stop using chemical hair products, such as keratin and dyes for two weeks after the operation.
- If the scalp is irritated, red or swollen, apply a cube of ice on the skin, and avoid using any cream or lotion without consulting your doctor.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least one week, wear a hat or head cover if necessary.
- Drink plenty of water to stimulate the growth of scalp cells and to get rid of toxins.
- Stay away from junk food and eat foods that contain vitamins and minerals, to support the treatment and ensure the best results.
Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) Cost
Compared to hair transplantation, PRP is a conservative treatment, with prices vary between $200 to $600 depends on the country where you are planning to obtain the procedure. Turkey is well known as one of the best destinations for PRP and other hair loss treatments, where they cost much less than many other countries such as America, Europe or the United Arab.